Dubno is known from 1100 AD. It is one of the most ancient towns of Volyn, situated on a crossroad of historical events and trade routes. It was the center of spiritual life of the region. The first documented mention of Dubno is the Ipativskyi Chronicle "The story of the past". But the discoveries of the archeologists prove that from ancient times the people inhabited this territory.
Dubno as a town was founded and built by the Ostrozkyi princes one of the greatest and most gloriores prince families in XV - XVII century. It was a real middleaged town with fortifications. The eastern border of Dubno was the Castle (XV ce.). The Lutsk Brama (Lutsk Gate) (XVI ce.) protected the town from the west; and Bernardyn Monastery (XVII) from the north-west. The island settlements of the Exaltation of the Cross, the Save Transfiguration and also the Pidbortsy and Stracliv monasteries were situated near the town's
So long as trade was very important for the welth of the Ostrozkyi princes, for development of Dubno a list of craftsmen were called there, irrespective of their beliefs. And in the XVI ce. there was a synagogue in Dubno. In those times they traded by products of foundry, black smith's and jeweler's with towns of Volyn and Europe,
Ancient Dubno was one of the biggest cultural centers of Volyn. In Dubno were living and working gifted scientists, literary men and church men - Meletiy Smotricki, Kasyan Sakovych, Yov Zalizo (Yov Pochaivskyi).
The hegumen of the Holy Cross Monastery, Father Vitaliy in 1604 translated the book "Dioptra...". The famous handwritten Gospel by the celibate priest Arseniy was also created in
The Castle of Dubno became a real stronghold of Volyn, because of it's position (it was washed by the River Ikva) and had good fortifications of XVII ce., which protected the lands from the destructive raids of enemies. Due to several generations of the Ostrozkyi princes Dubno developed into a splendid town with the chimes of the monastery bells. Yanusz (1554 - 1620) was the last of the Ostrozkyi princes. From his early youth in 1577 he headed the defense of the town against the Crimean
During the Northern War Dubno district was attended by such distinguished figures as hetman Ivan Mazepa, the Swedish king Karl XII and Russian tsar Petro I, generals Suvorov and
In the second half of the XVII century the town of Dubno was growing rapidly. The contract fairs, which were brought here from Lviv in 1774, contributed to this greatly. 30000 people participated in these fairs. The Liubomyrski princes gave a half of their palace for the visitors. They promoted the trade, entertainment and recreation. During the fairs the large Contract
Hall was full of the crowds of the magnates with their bailiffs, possessors and speculators that sold the factory and plant goods, bought something or rented gardens and
In the evening everything changed. The fairs became the place of gambling to "swallow" the daily turnover. They turned the rich into the poor and vice versa. In the palace the princes organized sumptuous balls, concerts, performances and other kinds of entertainments. In 1780 the Polish actor and dramatist Wojcech Bogyslawski lived in the town where he staged his plays.
In 1781 the polish king Stanislav Awgust visited Dubno three times, where he went hunting bears.
It is impossible not to mention famous Irish Gardener Dionisi Mikler, who founded one of his picturesque parks in Dubno "Palestina". As for recent information he was buried in Dubno in the formed polish cemetery.
At the end of the XVIII century Dubno became the capital of French prince Konde and his relative from the Burbons - duke de Berri. At the same time the legendary woman Nadia Durova, who served in the
Lithuanian regiment in Dubrovitsa and Lutsk, visited the town. The great Ukrainian philosopher and poet Hryhoryi Skovoroda also visited Dubno in 1753 and later. Tears and steps of Taras Shevchenko, who visited it in autumn 1846, bless the town of Dubno. Among great number of monuments and memorial signs the best one is the Monument to outstanding Cobzar opened in July 16, 1991 and devoted to the first anniversary of Declaration of Independence of
Many famous names are connected with the history of our town among them are hetman Ivan Vygovskui, Ivan Fedorov and Severryn Nalivaiko, Onore de Balsack and Antoniy Malchevskyi, Olexandr Kuprin and Volodymyr Korolenko and Yaroslav Hashek; patriarch Mstyslav (Stepan Skrypnyk) and general de Holl, Tadeush Chatskyi and Valerian Polishchuk, Symon Petlyura and Marion (Ivan Ohiyenko), Andriy Malyshko and Maksym Rylskiy, Nina Matvienko and Stanislav Rostotskyi, Mykola Kostomarov and Adam Mitskevych, Mukhhailo Dragomanov and Olena Teliha and many others. We can add to this list some other of our famous comtemporaries - honoured citizens of our town Mykola Syvitskyi from Warsaw, Yuriy Shumovskyi from the USA, Borys Voznytskyi from Lviv, Mykola Zhulynskyi from Dubno and
Ancient Dubno with its Castle orthodox temples and Catholic Church always attracted many travelers, researchers, musicians, and actors. On the facade of school Ne1 one can see a memorial plague to the Doctor of History archeologists Ihor Svyeshnikpv, who headed the first scientific expedition in the Castle; and to regional ethnographer, enlightener Ihor Losovyuk. These educational establishments, when it was still a gymnasium, have finished famous doctor Ivan Nosal, famous pilot of polish army Stanislav Skalskyi, and novelist Vitally
According to the decree of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine N°444 from June 14, 1993, the State Historical and Cultural preserve was founded, to which the Castle, the Lutsk Gate, former Bernardyn Monastery, Roman - Catholic Cathedral and synagogue belong. It also includes the Save Transfiguration monastery Yurivska Church, Illinskyi Cathedral and a lot of secular buildings of the XVIII - XIX
The restoration work is holding; some scientific conferences take place; the exhibitions are opened; bunds are filled up, the new ethnographic books are published. From year to year the number of tourists and visitors of Dubno increase. Every one wants to touch the history of the ancient
The main events of the history of
August 30, 1100 -the first documented mention of Dubno in Ipativskyi
1100 - in the Ipativskyi Chronicle Dubno was mentioned because of internecine struggle for the Kyivan thron, between Kyivan prince Iziaslav Mstyslavovych and his uncle Yuriy Volodymyrovych (Dolgorykyi).
1288 - in the prince Volodymyr's testament was written: "And Mstyslav (the brother of Volodymyr) after visiting the town of" Volodymyr went to Lutsk and Duben.
1322 - in the dead of prince Lyobart were mentioned, estates, presented to Lytsk Church of loan Bohoslov. It was told about "Dubenskyi monastery", too.
1337 - the prince Lybart Hedymynovych confirmed after prince Danylo Dmytrovych Ostrih with its estates. Among them Dubno was, too.
1386 - According to supposition of some of researchers, the first wooden fortification was built by prince Fedir Ostrozkyi (a small castle).
1450 - the researcher M.Orlovych thought that at that time the wooden castle of Dubno had been build by Vasyl Fedorovych Ostrozkyi (Krasnyi).
XV century - the Ostrozkyi princes founded the Exaltation of the Cross and the Save Transfiguration Monasteries.
1498 - the hetman mace of the Lithuanian prince Olexander the Charter for Grinding Dubno the states of a town.
1498 -the hetman mace of the Lithuanian principality was given to K.I. Ostrozkyi.
1507 - the Polish king Sigizmund conferred Dubno the Magdeburg Right. The town had the right to hold markets and fairs every week. It had its own stamp, emblem and flag.
XVI century - the stone Castle and Lutsk Gate were built in Dubno.
The second half of the XVI century - Vasyl Konstiantyn Ostrozkyi inherited Dubno.
1577 - the Crimean Tatars attacked the Castle of Dubno twice but couldn't take possession of
1571 - prince Ostrozkyi invited monk Yov Zalizo from Uhornytsk Monastery in Halych to Dubno. He had been the hegumen of the Holy Cross Monastery for 20 years and then was taken to Pochaiv Monastery.
1539-1568 - in the Exaltation of the Cross Monastery of Dubno the famous handwritten Gospel was created by the celibate priest Arseniy. Now, it is located in Rumiantsev Fund of Russian State Library in Moscow.
XVI century - prince K.Ostrozkyi founded in Dubno the orthodox St. Illinskyi tample and presented the icon of the Saint Illia, which is preserver in Dubno.
1952 - prince K. Ostrozkyi founded on the island of Dubovets the women Pidbortsi Monastery. 1609 - prince Yanush founded Ostrih, the capital of which was Dubno.
March 10, 1616 - the first list of jewellery, plates and dishes, cloth, furniture, icons, pictures, books and weapons was made. Its copy is preserved in Dubno.
1617 - they began to build the Roman - Catholic Monastery.
The beginning of the XVII century - Yanush Ostrozkyi rebuilt the Castle of Dubno according to the new Italian system; the stone part of the Castle walls and watch towers were built. The Defence ditch in the east was fotified by the wall of white stone.
19 August, 1620 - Yanush Ostrozkyi died. After his death all his lands including Dubno passed to the zaslawski princes.
1633 - There was the rebellion of the orthodox of the castle garrison of Chopek, Bills, Hubka, K. Sakovych. 1648 - the detachment of Boniak Sholudlyvyi attacked Dubno.
1648 - Dubno was attacked by Cossacks regiments of Maksym Kryvonis, which belonged to the leading detachment of hetman Bogdan Khmelnytskyi. But they didn't capture the castle.
Beginning 1660 - a battle between the Russian and Polish troops not far from Dubno.
1660 - Anastasia Chernetska found a monastery of carmelitoc in Dubno;
From other data, the duchess Teofilar - 4yudvica 4yubomirska; founded it in 1702;
1665 - Ann Puzins, a wife of Cremenetscky assistant of a judge, founded orthodox monastery in Stractiv, in the suburb of Dubno;
1670 - Four week fair was held in Dubno after the privilege of Polish king Myhaila, from princes Vishevetscih.
1674 - the last prince Alexander from family zaslavscih died and Dubno was passed to princes Lyubomirsch to own;
1676 - Tatars and Turks attack on Dubno; '
1703 - the princes Sangushco owned Dubno after Joseph Lyubomirsciy death;
1705 - the Ukrainian hetman Ivan Mazepa stayed in Dubno;
1707 - the Russia tsar Peter temporally stopped in Dubno;
December 7, 1753 - the prince Sangushco complimented (on other sources lost in cords) with Dubno to stanislav Lyubomirsciy.
1774 - the contract fairs were transferred from Lviv to Dubno;
September 13, 1775 - Yanush Sangushco, the last representative of ostrozcih Olynastie died; 1768 -Uprising movements which overcome Kiev, Bratslavsc , part of Podil and Volin provinces, felt over in the district of Dubno;
1781 - the last Polish King Stanislav Avgust Ponuatovskiy visited Dubno;
1792 - the famous Irish gardener Dionisiy Micler founded a wonderful park in a natural boundary "Palestine";
1795 - Dubno belong to Russia during the third division of Poland;
In 1800 - Dubno becomes the capital of one of the offsprings of the dynasty of Burbons, whipped off from the French throne, Prince Conde;
August 30 1805 - The first stay of Myhaylo Cutuzov in Dubno;
1813 - the Polish entightener Tadeush Chatsciy dies in Dubno;
1844 - a great fire in Dubno; Nick Costomarov, a writer visited Dubno;
Autumn 1846 - Taras Shevchenko is in Dubno during the archeographic trip;
September, 12, 1847 - the first stay of Onore-de-Balzac, the classic of French Literature in Dubno;
March 1867 - a composer Nick Lisenco collects folk melodies during the creating of opera "Taras Bulba" by Gogol in Dubno;
1870 - Myhaylo Dragomanov , a famous scientific, visited Dubno;
1871 - Joseph and Yadvida Lyubomirsci sold Dubno to Duchess Baryatinsci from auction;
1873 - The railway station was open in Dubno;
1875 - Polish Catholic Church of Bernandiniv is adjusted under an orthodox cathedral; 1878 - the Russian scientist V.V. Docuchayev visited Dubno.
1878 - The organizer of the first Chech legions in Russia, writer, general Yaroslav Chervinka took part in a parade in honour the victory over turks in Dubno;
1885 - 1890 - the building of Taracaniv fort; August 28, 1890 - the Russian tsar Alexander'lll visited Dubno; 1894 - a jounalist and a writer Alexander Cuprin visited Dubno; 1907 - the town a high school is opened;
1914 - a prominent historic and political statesman V'yacheslav Lipinsciy found on military service in Dubno;
1915 - the classic of Chech literature Yaroslav Gashec stayed in Dubno;
1923 - the Polish high school after Conarsciy established in Dubno;
June, 25, 1941 - Ukrainian patriots were shot in Dubno Prison by encavedists;
June, 26-30, 1941 - one of the largest battles during the World War II happened in the district of Dubno;
Autumn 1941 - Ulas Samchuc, a Ukrainian poet stayed in Dubno;
March 17, 1941 - liberation of Dubno from fascists;
June 14, 1993 - Decision Ns444 of Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine about the establishment of Dubno historical cultural preserve.
1995 - the Svyato - Pocrovskiy cathedral of Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Kiev